|Straßburg Führungen mit BRIGITTE MICHEL|
St. Thomas Church
Apart from the main cathedral (Münster) this church is the largest in Strasbourg. It was built between the 12th and 15th centuries. The church was the first to adopt Protestantism when the town was converted at the time of the reformation in 1529. The choir is decorated with the famous mausoleum of the Maréchal de Saxe sculpted by the Parisian sculptor Pigalle.
Since the 6th century worshippers have come here to honour the decibel Thomas. It was in the 9th century that bishop Adeloch has built an opulent new church as well as an adjacent school. In 1524 the church was designated for worshippers of the Lutheran faith (Martin Bucer has served as pastor). This confessional status remained despite annexing the Alsace region by catholic France. Today it also administers several Elementary and High schools (École St. Thomas, Foyer Jean Sturm---) and additionally Protestant Seminar (Séminaire prosteant) which is located in Baroque style building near-by.[ 1 - Veröffentlicht seit: 2011-12-02]